As we approach a very unusual Earth Day, I’m reminded more than ever how lucky we are to live in the Bay Area with all of our wonderful outdoor spaces.
We can’t fully enjoy them right now, for the good of our community. But here at Baykeeper, we’re seeing that the threats to the Bay haven't paused, even as the Bay Area stays at home.
Oil tankers are still delivering dangerous crude oil shipments to refineries. The coal industry is brazenly pushing more toxic coal through the Bay Area. And the Trump Administration is rolling back environmental regulations on polluters.
Moments like these are why Baykeeper exists. When polluters threaten the Bay, and regulators aren’t on the job—Baykeeper steps in. We’re here to make sure the Bay is safe, for the future.
This Earth Day, there are five ways you can keep Baykeeper on the job, defending the Bay:
- Make a gift, make an impact: Your contribution directly funds our scientists and lawyers to stop polluters and protect San Francisco Bay. Plus, you’ll be entered into a drawing to win a Baykeeper hoodie and show off your pride in the Bay.
- Drink wine—for the Bay! Presenting the 2019 Rosé for the Bay, released just in time for Earth Day. Poseidon Vineyard donates 100% of proceeds from this pinot noir rosé to support Baykeeper's work. And it's shipped direct to your door, so no need to leave home. In checkout, look for "How did you hear about us?" and select "SF Baykeeper."
- Join the Healthy Bay Challenge: Keep yourself motivated to stay healthy and keep the Bay healthy, too! Log when you run, walk, bike, swim, do yoga, and more... connect with Baykeeper supporters, earn points, compete, and have fun... a new way to help flatten the curve AND protect the Bay!
- Start a Facebook Fundraiser: Ask your friends to join you in supporting a healthy Bay. It’s a great way to show how you’re taking action for a cause that’s important to you during this time. And whether they donate $5 or $500, every contribution protects San Francisco Bay.
- Share this message with friends who love the Bay! Help spread the word that everyone can do their part—whether they're drinking rosé or staying fit—in a fun way to protect SF Bay this Earth Day!
Thanks for keeping Baykeeper on the job, in the courts, and on your side.
Here's to a happy, healthy Earth Day, and a beautiful thriving Bay.
Rainbow photo by Daniel Parks, Flickr/CC. Photo of Sejal by Gail Odom.